The City of Loveland Building & Zoning Department is a one-stop shop for all of your property, construction and building permit questions, from building a home to putting up a fence. A building permit is a license which grants permission to start construction of a building project. The permits allow for enforcement of local building codes which have been adopted by the city, state, and county. A permit also ensures construction will protect the public health, safety and welfare of Loveland residents. Building & Zoning permit forms and documents are available online.
Permit Window Hours:
Monday – Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- The City of Loveland adopts the Residential Code of Ohio (R.C.O.) for residential projects and the Ohio Building Code (O.B.C.) for commercial projects.
- Hamilton County Division of Building & Infrastructure Schedule of Fees, click here to view updated fee schedule.
- The City of Loveland contracts with the Inspection Bureau, Inc. (IBI) for all electrical permits and inspections. Click here for their website.
- The City also contracts with Hamilton County Plumbing for all plumbing permits and inspections. To visit their website, please click here.
- For property maintenance complaints or other requests please click here to access our Action Line.
Five Steps to a Building Permit for Residential or Commercial Property
- Call, visit or email the Loveland Building and Zoning Department: Staff will explain the requirements regarding your project and an application will be given to you, or you can download an application here.
- Submit the application: You will be asked to document “who” will perform the work, “what” work will be done, “where” the work will be done and “how” the work will be done. The application will require accompanying documentation, depending on the nature of your project. for information on what documentation is required.
- The review process: Staff will determine if your project is in compliance with the construction codes and other cityand state ordinances and statutes.
- Receive results of your review: If in compliance with the building code and zoning regulations, a permit is approved. If in noncompliance, your permit will be withheld until corrections are made to the plan.
- Receive permit: A fee will be collected and you may proceed as approved. Any changes must be sent back through the permit application process for review by the building and zoning department. Inspections will be performed by the department staff to determine compliance with laws and statutes.
- Building/Zoning Permit Application (4340)
- Drawing and Requirements to Obtain a Building Permit (2443)
- Building Department Fees (226)
- Zoning Fees (165)
- Water Tap Permit Application (883)
- Water Impact Fees (183)
- Surety Bond Application (807)
Sample Building Plans and Requirements
- Accessory Structure (2803)
- Basement Finish (2640)
- Buffering and Landscaping (1549)
- Deck (1587)
- Pool (1301)
- Ramp (1184)
Permit Inspection Requirements
Planning and Zoning Commission Applications
- Planning & Zoning Application for Conditional Use (1333)
- Planning & Zoning Application for Special Exception (1218)
- Planning & Zoning Application for Zone Change (1238)
- Planning & Zoning Application to Appear (1229)
- Planning & Zoning Bufferyard Requirements for Submission (1483)
- Planning & Zoning Site Plan Review Guidelines (2079)
Board of Zoning Appeals Applications
- Board of Zoning and Appeals Application for Appeal (1259)
- Board of Zoning and Appeals Application for Variance (1732)
Zoning Code Quick References
- Ohio Building Code
- Loveland Code of Ordinances (Zoning Code available here)
- International Property Maintenance Code (2006) (1718)